Dealing with child support arrears is a critical and often challenging aspect of family law. Child support arrears occur when a parent falls behind on their court-ordered child support payments. This situation can have significant legal and financial implications for both the paying parent (obligor) and the parent receiving support (obligee). Understanding your rights and responsibilities regarding child support arrears is essential, as the consequences of unpaid child support can be severe, including wage garnishment, tax refund interception, and even legal action.
At Mokolo Law Firm, our experienced family law attorneys are adept at navigating the complexities of child support arrears. We provide legal assistance to both obligors seeking to manage or dispute arrears and obligees aiming to enforce child support orders and collect unpaid support. Mokolo Law Firm can assist you with:
- Understanding the legal implications of child support arrears
- Negotiating repayment plans for arrears
- Representing clients in court for matters related to arrears
- Advising on potential avenues for reducing or contesting arrears
- Assisting with the enforcement of child support orders
Resolving Child Support Arrears
Resolving child support arrears is crucial for both the financial well-being of the children involved and the legal compliance of the parents. Key considerations include:
- The total amount of arrears owed and the duration of non-payment
- Potential legal consequences for the non-paying parent
- Options for modifying child support orders in cases of financial hardship
- Enforcement actions by the state, such as wage garnishment or property liens
Our team at Mokolo Law Firm understands the sensitive nature of child support issues. We are committed to providing compassionate, comprehensive legal services to help you effectively manage and resolve child support arrears.
For an initial consultation to discuss your child support arrears and family law needs, please select from one of the contact options below.