If you are hoping to change your name or a child’s name in the Houston area, you could benefit from having competent legal representation. Mokolo Law Firm assists individuals in communities throughout Harris, Fortbend, Brazoria, Montgomery and Galveston counties and many others.
Child Name Changes in Texas
Under Texas Family Code § 45.001, the parent, managing conservator, or guardian of a child may file a petition requesting a change of name of the child in the county where the child resides. A petition to change the name of a child must be verified and include:
- the present name and place of residence of the child;
- the reason a change of name is requested;
- the full name requested for the child;
- whether the child is subject to the continuing exclusive jurisdiction of a court under Chapter 155 of the Texas Family Code; and
- whether the child is subject to the registration requirements of Chapter 62 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.
Under Texas Family Code § 45.002(b), a child’s written consent to the change of name must be attached to the petition when the child is 10 years of age or older.
Adult Name Changes in Texas
Texas Family Code § 45.101 establishes that an adult can file a petition requesting a change of name in the county of the adult’s place of residence. A petition to change the name of an adult must be verified and include:
- the present name and place of residence of the petitioner;
- the full name requested for the petitioner;
- the reason the change in name is requested;
- whether the petitioner has been the subject of a final felony conviction;
- whether the petitioner is subject to the registration requirements of Chapter 62 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure; and
- a legible and complete set of the petitioner’s fingerprints on a fingerprint card format acceptable to the Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Contact Mokolo Law Firm at 713-784-2906 to schedule a consultation with one of our family law attorneys.